Continuation from Session 1:
“So glad you’re getting Andre on – big hero of mine.” – email from John Ellis (accomplished ultra runner in his own right)
As I continued to talk to Andre Blumberg, we covered the following topics in Section 2 of this 3-part podcast.
Session 2: Physical Training, Mental Training, Personality Questions, Lessons Learned
- Physical training all the way up until the grand slam
- Talk to us about your training program. Right from the beginning in 2010 all the way up until the grand slam
- How did he bring his weight down by 30-something kilos in 2010?
- How did he train for the grand slam?
- Talk about the high altitude tent
- Now that all the training is done and he is so accomplished already, how does he train everyday and where does the motivation come from?
- Most people look up to Andre when the going gets tough. They don’t want to disappoint him. How does he cope with this himself? Is he influenced by external pressure?
- What makes him mentally tough?
- What does he tell himself when the going gets tough?
- Was he this tough before ultras? Does he train his mental strength? Who are his motivators?
Personality questions for Andre
- Is there a lot of pressure on Andre? So many people look up to him. So many regard him as a role model. How does he deal with the pressure?
- If he had to choose between work and running, what would he choose?
- How does he manage his time between working in a high profile role vs running?
- This sense of humility and benevolence Andre is known for, where does it stem from? Does he make a conscious effort to remain humble despite being like the Godfather of ultras?
- What are Andre’s fears? Is he scared that he may run out of challenges?
- Would he be rather be known as Andre, the father of ultra running, Andre, the founder of HK4TUC, Andre, the accomplished professional Andre, the mentor for runners? Which does he like being known as more and why?
Injury, pain and philosophy on medicine and alcohol
- Doing ultras in 5 months… did he get injured? How did he deal with it?
- What does he do when he’s in physical pain or mental anguish?
- Would he take medicines? When/where does he draw the line?
- He went cold turkey on alcohol. Considering beer is staple food in Germany, how did he go cold turkey and does he drink now?
Lessons learnt and definition of failure
- What’s Andre’s philosophy on failure?
- Has Andre ever DNFed? What’s his philosophy on it?
- Philosophy on team runs vs individual runs. Which one is better according to him and why? Does he like team runs?
In Session 3, I talk to Andre about nutrition, Gear, The 4 Trails Ultra Challenge, Goals for 2015 and beyond
Session 3 coming soon…
Music: A big “thank you” to http://www.bensound.com/royalty-free-music