Aim of this podcast is to get an understanding of the TMBT race (The Most Beautiful Thing) in Malaysia. It’s got a catchy title and we want to find out if it’s really as glorious as it sounds.We’re going to talk to two runners who have just completed it – Roger Graham (a guy I almost killed with a big boulder back in the day) and Seowping Tan who has done the TMBT course 3 times, she also did all the four 100km races in HK in 2014 and also the HK168. We’ll keep this podcast primarily focused on TMBT but we will also learn a little but more about Roger and Seow.
Before we get into specifics of TMBT, just some quick questions for Seowping and Roger so we get to know them better:
1) What’s your favorite trail in Hong Kong and why?
2) What do you think is your nest accomplishment as far as trail running is concerned?
3) Who are your role models or the people you admire locally and why?
Humble beginnings including time scale (Roger and Seowping)
1) Tell us your running story. When did you start running competitively? What got you into it?
2) Seowping – tell us briefly about your experience running all the 4 100km races in HK and doing HK168
1) What is TMBT? Please describe the race course and also tell us about the race organizer
2) What made you want to do TMBT?
3) What was the atmosphere like?
4) What was the weather like?
5) How does the trail or race compare to HK100 or one of the Hong Kong races?
6) Which trail in HK does it most closely resemble (if there is one)
7) How well marked was the course?
8) How difficult was the course and why?
9) What were the main challenges?
10) For someone considering their first overseas race, would you recommend TMBT?
11) Was it really The Most Beautiful Thing?
12) Talk to us about your experience. What did you like / not like? How did you feel going in? What were the up and down moments?
13) How safe is the place / the race?
14) Any animals on the trail?
Physical training for the TMBT
1) Talk to us about your training program for the TMBT. When did you start to train?
2) What were the challenges of training in Hong Kong for TMBT?
3) Having done the TMBT, is there anything different you would do now in terms of training for the TMBT? What advice would you give new TMBT “attempters” ?
Mental training for the TMBT
1) Was there a time when you wished you were not there?
2) What did you tell yourself when the going got tough?
Nutrition and gear
1) What was the checkpoint food like? What did you have for nutrition?
2) What about gear? What kind of gear did you carry with you? Was there something you missed out on?
As we begin to wind up:
1) How would you rate the race (o to 10)
2) Any advice for the race organizer?
3) Anything our race organizers in HK can copy?
1) Will they do TMBT again?
Parting words of wisdom:
1) Mantra or motto or creed that you live by (either running or life)
To subscribe to this podcast, please go to iTunes and search for The Hong Kong Trail Rockers Podcast (https://itunes.apple.com/hk/podcast/hong-kong-trail-rockers-podcast!/id994423166).
Music: A big “thank you” to http://www.bensound.com/royalty-free-music