Welcome to a brand new season of The Hong Kong Trail Rockers Podcast! First of all, a big “thank you” to our listeners for the great feedback and suggestions!
Going forward, we are going to have a couple of changes to the format of the show:
- We will publish full interviews in the same week instead of having them them span over multiple weeks. This is to keep the continuity going
- We will have some great episodes that will be worth your time but not all weeks will see us releasing a new episode! But, when it’s out, we want it to be good!
- New episodes will be released on Thursday evenings
And, here’s the first episode of Season 2! I had the chance to speak to Milos Pintrava who is the main sponsor of Awoo Team Nepal (the winning team of Oxfam Trailwalker 2016 – 11 hours 01 minute is what it took them to run 100kms!)
The Nepali team, Martin, Milos and yours truly
After that segment with Milos in which I asked him many questions about the Nepal team, I brought on my co-host who is none other than Milos’ son Martin Pintrava (he is too young even for a facebook account!) Listen to him as he takes control of the microphone and fires away questions at top runner John Ellis! None of the questions was scripted and you can hear 10-year-old Martin interviewing John like a pro and recalling facts from many years back effortlessly! This kid is not only going to become a top trail runner in the future but is also going to have a job in show biz waiting for him!
John gets floored by Martin’s insightful questions
Finally, we interview the winning Nepali team with Dinna acting as our translator. My apologies in advance for the poor recording quality during this part of the show. We recorded the interview in a restaurant and there was some unavoidable extraneous noise and some interruptions!
My job got outsourced to Martin Pintrava
Questions we covered:
- compare last year to this year
- Tell us about how you stopped them from getting lost this year
- How did you find these guys?
- What are their profiles
- How did they train? Who trained them?
- Why did he choose to sponsor them?
- Tell us about the pressure on them
- Tell us about the support from the beginning to the end
- Tell us about the leadership aspects of the team
- Why did they eat?
- Tell us about the finish line experience
- What has this experience taught you?
- Will you sponsor again next year?
- introduce themselves: background in racing (Tirtha, Purna -captain-, Bed, Bhim)
- Best internationals results
- Talk to us about the pressure back home
- Tell us about your coaches
- Does the army training help?
- How confident where they going in
- How different is it in HK compared to Nepal
- Walk through the race:
- How they handled the conditions
- Did you run as a team together before?
- Team dynamics
- How they would have handled injuries
- Any interesting stories or snippets?
- Talk to us about each stage
- How does it feel to have won?
- What did you learn from this experience?
- Any tips to share with future trail runners
- Talk to us about messages from back home
Big ‘thank you’ to Milos, John, Dinna, the Nepali team and Martin (?!) for their time! And, thanks to Andre for the photos!
Until the next episode, go out for a run and crank up the mileage!
To subscribe to this podcast, please go to iTunes and search for The Hong Kong Trail Rockers Podcast (https://itunes.apple.com/hk/podcast/hong-kong-trail-rockers-podcast!/id994423166)