I was fortunate enough to interview Andre Blumbeg aka “granddaddy of ultras” in the 3-part podcast.
Without exaggeration, interviewing him was INSPIRATION, MOTIVATIONAL AND EDUCATIONAL!
My biggest takeaway was this: “It’s easier to throw in the towel than it is to persist. Know your purpose, don’t give up. Very often we give up way before we should”.
Topics to be covered in the podcast:
Section 1: Andre Blumberg’s story, accomplishments (Grand Slam, Badwater, Lake Tahoe)
Section 2: Physical Training, Mental Training, Personality Questions, Lessons Learned
Section 3: Nutrition, Gear, The 4 Trails Ultra Challenge, Goals for 2015 and beyond, Contact
- The father of ultras! The role model to many trail runners in Hong Kong. The only person who has completed the Grand Slam in the US (four 100 mile races in the US in the span of 10 weeks) with a total cumulative elevation of 24,380m. See Grand Slam quest. The 4 races were Western States, Vermont 100, Leadville 100, Wasatch Front. Since 1986 only around 280ppl have done the Grand Slam. Andre is in that club. In 2013, 31 ppl completed the Grandslam. Andre is one of them
- He underwent a transformation before his 40th birthday. He started biking in the gym in Jan 2010. He weighed 103kgs then. In April 2010, he ran the 65km RTI. Same year he did TNF 100 in SG and the next year (2011), his first 100 miler (UTMF)
- He is also the brain behind the 4 Trails Challenge
Three Quick Questions for Andre:
- What is Andre’s favorite trail in Hong Kong and why? Also, what’s his favorite race in Hong Kong? What’s his favorite race overseas and why?
- What in Andre’s view is his best accomplishment in the field of ultra running?
Does Andre have role models in the field of running? Who are they and why?
Humble beginnings including time scale:
- We touched upon his story briefly but want to hear it from Andre himself. Take us back to the beginning. What is his story? When/why did he get into running?
- When someone wants a life transformation, they’d run the Standard Chartered marathon or they’d do a 100km and end it there. What we want to know is (a) What caused the transformation? (b) What kept it going after RTI in 2010? Before that, when did he come to HK and what was his lifestyle like BEFORE all this running?
- Most people start of with road running before hitting the trails. Why did Andre decide to hit the trails at the very beginning? Why RTI
- What’s Andre’s biggest accomplishment and why? Grand Slam – he is also the only one from outside America)
- Talk about the Grand Slam (Each of the 4 races).
- He traveled back and forth to the US. How did he cope with the time difference?
- Talk about Lake Tahoe (200 miles)
- Talk about Badwater 135 miles
Section 2 and Section 3 coming soon…
Music: A big “thank you” to http://www.bensound.com/royalty-free-music