Summary (Part 1/2) – part 2 to be released on Dec 3rd 2015
- Who’s Jacky Leung?
- Intro – Started hiking/running
- What is his day job?
- When did he become a Salomon sponsored guy?
- When did he become a Suunto sponsored guy?
- What’s it like to be a sponsored guy? Does he have additional pressure because of it?
- What is Jacky’s favorite trail in Hong Kong and why?
- What in Jacky’s view is his best accomplishment in the field of running
- In his running career, has he had any mentors? Who has had the most influence on him?
- Does Jacky have role models in the field of running? Who are they and why?
- Humble beginnings: where it all started
- Road running/trail running philosophy and why he does it. When did he start doing it?
- Does he have any unforgettable experiences in the course of trail running and racing? Something or someone that has shaped him and his thoughts?
|2015||2 Events, 200 km|
|13.-14.03.2015||TransLantau 100 Ultra Trail||100km|
|17:47:02 h||Leung, Chun-Keung||Salomon Hk||Overall: 18||M: 18||Cat M23: 6|
|17.-18.01.2015||Hong Kong 100 Ultra Trail Race||100km|
|12:31:17 h||Leung, Chun-Keung||Salomon Hk||Overall: 26||M: 25||
Cat M23: 10
Stair Master series. Third in Lantau, 1st in Hong Kong (The Twins), just 40s behind John Ellis ; Monte Rossa
|2014||5 Events, 384 km|
|13.12.2014||The North Face 50 Hong Kong||50km|
|7:54:14 h||Leung, Chun-Keung||Overall: 35||M: 32||Cat M23: 11|
|01.11.2014||Lantau Trail race 70k||70km|
|9:02:16 h||Leung, Chun-Keung||Salomon||Overall: 3||M: 3||Cat M23: 2|
|18.-19.10.2014||45km Midnight Express||45km|
|6:06:39 h||Leung, Chun-Keung||Salomon Hk||Overall: 8||M: 8||Cat M23: 4|
|27.-28.08.2014||Sur les Traces des Ducs de Savoie (TDS)||119km|
|24:49:20 h||Leung, Chun-Keung||Salomon Hk||Overall: 241||M: 226||Cat M23: 82|
|14.-15.03.2014||TransLantau 100 Ultra Trail||100km|
|14:24:35 h||Leung, Chun-Keung||Salomon||Overall: 2||M: 2||
Cat M23: 1
Standard Chartered (3.05) ; DNF on Tornado ; – OTW (14.14) – 7th overall
|2013||4 Events, 400 km|
|14.-15.12.2013||The North Face 100 Hong Kong||100km|
|15:23:12 h||Leung, Chun-Keung||Overall: 11||M: 11||Cat M23: 5|
|06.04.2013||Jeju City 100 km||100km|
|9:37:08 h||Leung, Chun-Keung||Overall: 6||M: 5||Cat M23: 1|
|16.-17.03.2013||Lantau100 Ultra Trail||100km|
|13:38:00 h||Leung, Chun-Keung||Salomon Hk||Overall: 3||M: 3||Cat M23: 2|
|19.01.2013||Hong Kong 100 Ultra Trail Race||100km|
|12:18:29 h||Leung, Chun-Keung||Salomon Hk||Overall: 18||M: 17||
Cat M23: 8
Wilson Full – 10.34 with Jeremy Ritcey (full day course)
|2012||1 Event, 50 km|
|08.12.2012||MSIG Lantau 50||50km|
|6:49:00 h||Leung, Chun-Keung||Salomon HK||Overall: 19||M: 18||Cat M23: 5|
|2011||1 Event, 166 km|
|26.-28.08.2011||Ultra Trail Tour du Mont Blanc (UTMB)||166km|
|42:43:21 h||Leung, Chun-Keung||Overall: 725||M: 681||
Cat M23: 113
Tornado (October 2011) with Wong Yuk Tang – 34.23
- Walk us through the top 3 races, the preparation, the training, the nutrition
- What was it like?
- Walk us through the journey. What was it like? You slept during the race. What happened? Did you want to stop?
- Did he put a lot of pressure on himself to complete? What was the “outside” pressure like on him?
- How did you manage the not sleeping part?
- What were the up and down moments of this race? Describe the race to us and what more impressed you about the race
- How often does he train and how? Does he have a routine?
- Has his training resulted in injuries and if so how does he deal with them?
- How competitive is Jacky? How important is it to him to best himself? Would he risk injuries in order to achieve certain goals?
- What’s his philosophy on team runs like the OTW? Would he push his team to do better or would they do it “just for fun” ?
- Does Jacky take any painkillers during runs? What’s his philosophy on that? What’s been his most painful run?
- Does being a physio help him to be a better trail runner because “he is his own doctor” ?
- How does he balance his family time vs running / training? How supporting is his family?
- He does workshops for trail running, eg. Salomon Agility and Coordination Training workshop. Tell us about it. Who should attend and what can they learn?
- Talk to us about injuries, what he learnt from it. Does he believe in the needle guy?
- How does he do such long distances during painful moments? What’s been his most painful mental moment?
- What is his philosophy on pain? When does he know when to persist and when not to?
- What does he tell himself mentally when he has to persist through pain and continue to the finish line?
- During long distance runs, does he listen to music? How do you maintain your focus?
- Is he scared that someday he might not be able to defend his top spots?
- Is he scared he will even run out of challenges?
- Is he scared he will someday lose his passion for running? What keeps him passionate about running?
- When he is running, does he view competition as targets he has to overtake? Are there people he wants to overtake and be ahead of?
- What are his downtimes in running? When he didn’t want to run and felt miserable?
- How does he do his long runs? Is his cold weather strategy significantly different from his hot weather strategy?
- Does he swear by certain gear?
- Does he believe in taking medicines? If so, when and how? Has he taken medicines before during a race in order to finish the race?
- What does he think about DNF-ing?
- If he could not run, what else would he do?
- Does he have any strategies for mental training?
- As far as running is concerned what are his goals for 2016?
- Has he even thought of attempting the Grand Slam (either HK or USA) or doing the 4 Trails?
- For beginners getting into 100km+ running, what kind of advice does he have?
- How can someone who has plateaued develop themselves further? How do you get from becoming a good trail runner to a great trail runner?
- #1 key to success. Winning formula in life?
- What is the creed he lives by?
To subscribe to this podcast, please go to iTunes and search for The Hong Kong Trail Rockers Podcast (https://itunes.apple.com/hk/podcast/hong-kong-trail-rockers-podcast!/id994423166).