Continuation from Session 2. This is the last Session in this 3-part podcast with Andre.
Before summarizing what we spoke about in Session 3, I want to briefly write about my key takeaways after speaking to Andre. I keep track of certain traits that I want to emulate in my role models and if I can copy at least some of these qualities that Andre possesses, I’d be happy.
[Adopting a “never give up” attitude even during trying circumstances. Believing in yourself and gathering the determination to face and conquer challenges while enjoying them, instead of being overwhelmed by them. Achieving results while remaining humble and always feeling a sense of gratitude]
He peed black urine yet knew not to give up. When confronted with challenges during his ultras, he solved each challenge as though it were a puzzle. He doesn’t let challenges overwhelm him. The greater the challenge, the greater the satisfaction he derives from it. He practices gratitude and is extremely humble despite his long list of accomplishments. He cares for others and gives back to the community. An inspirational person who serves as a role model to many people
Summary of Session 3 (the last part of Episode 8)
Medicines, Injuries, Nutrition and Gear:
- What kind of gear does Andre swear by?
- What did he do regarding nutrition when he did his grand slam?
- What’s his philosophy on medicines? And, alcohol?
- How does he deal with injuries?
- What gave him the idea to start this challenge?
- Why did he change the format of the challenge?
- Finishers for 2012, 2013, 2014
- His invitation to me to do the 4 trails (?!)
Philosophy on supporting during races:
- Where did that cowbell idea come from?
- What part of the race does he enjoy supporting most?
- Giving back to the community
- Goals for 2015
- Parting words of wisdom
- Best place to reach Andre
This show also includes a Tailwind Trail Tip on pacing by John Ellis. Don’t miss it.
I’d like to thank Martijn Doekes from Lantau Base Camp for his help in getting me prepared! Also, thanks to John Ellis for providing a very important trail tip on pacing. And, of course, to Andre for spending close to 2.5 hours with me and imparting all this knowledge and inspiration!
Feedback and comments are welcome! My podcasting skills are still rough but on the mend! If you’d like to hear a certain guest on the show or have any sort of ideas, please write to me or leave a comment here. Thank you.
Music: A big “thank you” to http://www.bensound.com/royalty-free-music