What’s the deal?
As part of our insane summer series, we did a 45km run (The Hong Kong Trail) on 13th June 2015.
12 started and 5 completed the entire trail. This podcast is a very brief conversation at the end of the run with the 5 that finished (Milos, Pak, Stuart, Bogden and I). It took us something like 7.5 hours (including all stops) to complete the run. My Garmin froze midway through the run and I had to hard reset it to bring it back to life. This unfortunately meant that I have lost all my Garmin data for this run.
What will you learn from this episode of the podcast?
Umm.. It won’t be anything that is going to change your life! However, if you have nothing better to do, you can listen to this rather amusing conversation with the 5 finishes right at the end of the run.
Basically, here’s what you will learn:
- You will learn that you can’t really think clearly after you have done a long trail run in summer
- You will learn which part of Hong Kong trail to avoid when you run it. (Thanks to fellow runner Stuart’s contribution to our Hong Kong soil)
- You will learn to make sure to apply sufficient Vaseline before you begin a long run (again, Stuart speaks about his experience with chaffing – after speaking about his struggle with his bowel movement, he thought there was no need to hold back descriptive stories about chaffing)
- You will learn to carry sufficient water and not purely rely on website info when deciding your water strategy. Runner Bogden ran out of water as the water point he expected to see (as per our website info) was nonexistent.
- You will learn how to shift blame like a pro. (When Bogden shamelessly blamed me for his water planning fiasco, I proudly shifted the blame to Milos who was too busy texting and did not hear me – remember that if you want to escape culpability, blame it on someone else who isn’t paying attention when you falsely accuse them
- You will learn that the Ultra Track mode in Garmin is not reliable
- You will learn that the hot weather plus reservoir stretch combination is the most dreaded part of the Hong Kong trail. You will go through 8L of water on a hot day
- You will learn that the run down from the peak and the run down to Big Wave bay is usually the best part. Oh, and the air conditioned shopping in Park View
- You will learn that if you want to get a trail runner to run back to the start after he/she has just completed a 45km run, the going rate is USD 1000, not HKD 1000 (runners think that’s too cheap)
- But, the biggest lesson you will learn from this podcast is that there are many insane people in Hong Kong who will run 45kms on the hills of Hong Kong under a hot summer sun instead of sitting in an air-conditioned room or sipping a piña colada by the beach. Adventure or insanity? You decide
To subscribe to this podcast, please go to iTunes and search for The Hong Kong Trail Rockers Podcast (https://itunes.apple.com/hk/podcast/hong-kong-trail-rockers-podcast!/id994423166).
Music: A big “thank you” to http://www.bensound.com/royalty-free-music