This episode starts off with Martijn and I talking about Hong Kong Trailwalker 2015. We talk about the course profile, then we discuss a few tips for runners and then we conclude by mentioning some of the favorite teams that are in a position to do very well.
We then talk to one of the fastest Trailwalker teams of all times — the team from Nepal that comprises of some very young (and fast!) runners. Their team manager Ramesh Bhattachan talks to us about their training programme among other things. You will get a window into the lives of these runners and what makes them fast. Favorite questions from Andre Blumberg, Steven Sparksman and others are also answered.
- Their OTW time from last year (11.56), target this year (10.45)
- The names of the runners
- Kiran Kulung, 31 (Leading of Team Columbia running team)
- Suman Kulung, 24 (12.12 on HK100 2015)
- Arjun Kulung, 24 (1st in Annapurna 100k, 10h 33m) in 2015
- Ras Kulung, 19
- Team manager: Ramesh Bhattachan
- How did they discover their passion for running and how did their story land them in Hong Kong last year?
- What has having a coach taught you?
- How do they train? Walk us through the training routine
- Does Ramesh still make them do the Pressure Steps repeats?
- What does a typical training week look like in the key phase of OTW preparation?
- Whilst coach Ramesh provides continuity at OTW over many years, the respective runners in the team change regularly. How do you transfer the knowledge and lessons learned from one year to the next and from the previous team to the next?
- What keeps you going after 50K and how to mentally fit not to quit?
- What do you say to yourself when the going gets tough?
- What about gears and nutrition? What do they go with when they train?
- What do they eat during a 100km race like OTW.
- How important is it for them to defend their title this year? And, why?
- What is the pressure on them like? Families and friends back in Nepal
- What do they want to achieve in life? What’s their dream?
- What do they think is their secret to success in trail running?
- If there is anything you could have and ask for to perform even better (e.g. better gear, more time training on actual course, better support during race etc.) – what would be your #1 request?
- What is the major disagreement amount their teams during races/training?
- What’s their target time?
- What’s their strategy to win the OTW?
- What has their training and nutrition regime been in the lead up to OTW?
- How do they deal with stairs in HK?
- Do they run up Needle Hill stairs or walk?
- How do they avoid getting lost?
To subscribe to this podcast, please go to iTunes and search for The Hong Kong Trail Rockers Podcast (https://itunes.apple.com/hk/podcast/hong-kong-trail-rockers-podcast!/id994423166).
Music: A big “thank you” to http://www.bensound.com/royalty-free-music